INPI is a body of the Ministry of Justice that aims to promote innovation, the country's competitiveness and the fight against counterfeiting and unfair competition in the field of Industrial Property.
We have the responsibility of:
- grant and protect Industrial Property Rights in Portugal;
- promote national Industrial Property abroad;
- apply and comply with the Industrial Property Code (portuguese only);
- disseminate patented technical and scientific information;
- promote the use of the Industrial Property System (registration of trademarks, patents and designs).
Created in 1976 by the then Ministry of Foreign Trade, through the Decree-Law nr. 632 (portuguese only), INPI had as its main objective the promotion of competitiveness through innovation.
INPI is governed by its Organic Law (portuguese only) and by its Statutes (portuguese only).